Some key activities have been proposed for the year 2022-23 in the form of Research Output/Work Plan, to be authored by Dr Deepak Mishra and the Team:
- Economic Report: “Semi-Annual Updates on the State of the G-20 Economies”
This will provide a comparative perspective on the economic performance and policy of the G-20 member countries – both at a structural level as well as on near-term performance – focusing on the following themes: growth, trade, fiscal, monetary, external, digital and green economy; benchmarking exercise will help G-20 policymakers to monitor and learn from each other’s performance and policies.
- Policy Brief 1: “Getting Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) Right for India: Lessons from the Rest of the World”
Drawing on the use case experience from other countries, this Policy Brief will present the good features to adopt and bad practices to avoid so that India’s CBDC becomes the gold standard for the world
- Policy Brief 2: “India’s Trillion Dollar Trade Trilemma”
India has three inter-related goals when it comes to trade: to become a trillion-dollar exporting nation, maximise domestic value addition of exports and to become a self-reliant economy. While all three goals can be achieved in the long-run, the policies underlying these goals differ considerably in the short-run, creating a policy trilemma for the authorities; using trade in electronics as a case study, this study will explore which of these three paths present India the best hope of achieving its long-term aspirations.
- Blogs, Op-eds, Opinion Pieces (to be published in mainstream print newspapers)
- International Webinars and Workshops:
- Getting CBDC Right for India: Lessons from the Rest of the World
- From Ban to Self-Regulation: India’s Options and Constraints in Managing Crypto Assets
- ICRIER 14th International Annual G20 Conference
During 2021-22, under the authorship of Dr Alok Sheel, the following main research topics were proposed: (i) Multilateralism, the Global Economy and the G20; (ii) India’s Engines of Growth; (iii) India’s Post-Covid Economic Recovery; and (iv) RBI’s Balance Sheet.